Building The Courage Habit
There’s nothing wrong with fear in and of itself. The problem is when we respond with fear-based habits like perfectionism or self-sabotage and get stuck in our fear.
Kate Swoboda has built her coaching practice on the principle that these fear-based habits can be replaced with courage-based behaviors, that we can be afraid and do it anyway. And responding differently to the fear is what facilitates real transformation.
So, how do we go about building this courage habit?
Today, Kate joins me to explain how she created her coaching business and why she designed the Courageous Living Coach Certification program. She shares the inspiration for her book, The Courage Habit, outlining the 4 courage-based behaviors you can cultivate in daily life. I ask Kate about the frustrating time she spent working with a fertility specialist, and she speaks to her surprise at finally getting pregnant without medical intervention. Listen in for Kate’s insight on adopting a particular parenting philosophy and learn how to approach fear as part of the process—and foster the courage habit in your own life!
The Startup Pregnant Podcast Episode #073
Some quotes from the episode
- “Birthing a book [is] like birthing a baby. You create it, you grow it, you shape it, you put it out into the world, and then it has a life of its own that you have no control over.”
- “FearLESS—like, no fear whatsoever—I think it’s BS.”
- “I think we can learn how to see fear as part of a process, and it’s helpful even to not pathologize fear, to not make it wrong for existing.”
- “I see coaching as craft. It’s spontaneous, and it’s intuitive.”
- “You can only take a [coaching] client as far as you, yourself, are willing to go.”
- “Value doesn’t come in a piece of paper … value comes in how you show up.”
- “You feel afraid, but you respond to the fear differently. You dive in anyway, and that’s what enables you to transform.”
- “I actually have a conscious crying practice when I make time … to just sit down with a box of tissues and the saddest music I know.”
- “Fear is not logical. It’s primal.”
- “I’d gotten pregnant without any medical intervention, somehow. And that was the happiest day of my life.”
- “I’m a mother at a time when parenting … is incredibly dogmatic.”
- “The research has discovered that there’s no one parenting philosophy that is THE best. What they’ve actually found is that kids turn out better when their parents have any kind of a philosophy whatsoever.”
LEARN MORE ABOUT KATE SWOBODA
Kate Swoboda is a writer and facilitator in the realm of habit-formation and psychological courage. Her coaching practice, Your Courageous Life, centers around what she calls The Courage Habit—4 research-based behaviors for living with courage and resilience. Kate is also the creator of the Courageous Living Coach Certification program and the author of the book, The Courage Habit: How to Accept Your Fears, Release the Past, and Live Your Courageous Life.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- The Courage Habit: How to Accept Your Fears, Release the Past, and Live Your Courageous Life by Kate Swoboda
- Courageous Living Program
- Lianne Raymond
- International Coach Federation
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- IMAGO Relationships
- Freakonomics Radio: The Economist’s Guide to Parenting
EPISODE SPONSOR & SPECIAL OFFER
This podcast is made possible by Alavita Nutrition, a tremendous resource when it comes to food, health, and wellness. The Alavita team is on a mission to make eating good food and understanding nutrition easier for busy moms. Head to https://www.alavitanutrition.com/ and use the code ‘startup pregnant’ for 20% off their self-paced programs or a nutrition consultation.
All of our sponsor offers are available on our website for you to grab the perks and discounts offered to podcast listeners: http://startuppregnant.com/sponsors.
THE STARTUP PREGNANT PODCAST & HOST
- Startup Pregnant
- Startup Pregnant Newsletter
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Startup Pregnant on Facebook
- Startup Pregnant on Twitter
- Sponsor the Podcast
- Review Startup Pregnant on iTunes